Monday, March 15, 2010

Memory Monday: Family Reunion Crica 2002

Every few years our family tries to get together up at my parent's cabin in the mountains outside Flagstaff, AZ. As I was considering what memory I'd like to share today I thought of this particular reunion for two reasons. It was my new husband's first big gathering with this crazy bunch since our wedding, and we were all celebrating my parent's 50th Anniversary.  One of the first very special things we did was have  family photos taken by a professional photographer. Each of our individual families wore the same color tshirt so anyone seeing our pictures could easily tell who belonged to who (or is that whom?).

Other shots included my parents and their (wonderful) children, each individual family, and all of our kids clowning around.

 After the photo shoot we went to a wonderful Mexican restaurant for a celebration dinner and we presented Daddy and Mama with an Anniversay Quilt that my sister had made. The center panel has pictures of Mama and Daddy on their wedding day and present day. Each of the other panels features one of us kids with our wedding picture in the center surrounded by pics from our childhood and pics of our families and our children. In the outside (triangle) sections are various family photos of us kids during our growing up years.

From there we all headed to the cabin up on the San Francisco Peaks for several days of  celebration, fun and fellowship.  Since this was one  very dry summer, we had to take steps to conserve water and to prevent forest fires: Using an outdoor washbasin as our "sink" whenever possible, making sure we complied with campfire restrictions (Forest Service rangers showed up to make certain our "wild gathering" was being safe with fire), and of course, the ever conservative outhouses!
There were impromptu baseball games, nighttime family sing-a-longs,  the ever present chipmunks looking for a handout, visits from aunts, uncles, and cousins, and goofy group pictures.
All in all it was a fantastic reunion and a great way to celebrate our families and our incredible parents.

9 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! I love the quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lavon!!

    How fun! My family never did anything like this. You are so blessed.
    What a wonderful gift of love that quilt was for your mom and dad.
    Thank you for sharing that with us.

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, mother! It's funny how I remember that reunion in a different way than you did, as I just saw the fun of everything that was happening, and not the steps that needed to be taken to get there. I can't believe that was 8 years ago!

    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful pictures! Looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, what a sweet memory. Thanks for sharing Lavon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a walk down memory lane! Gary and I were just looking at that picture when we were up at the cabin over the weekend and remembering. However, I forgot about all the details of that reunion, with the fire restrictions, the two additional outhouses... :) Have you every noticed in the picture of us singing that there is a cross behind us? Its the reflection of the light in the window. I think most of the songs we were singing were praise and worship songs (since that was about all I could play on the guitar). :) Anyway, thank you for the memories, sis. Love, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful story and memories, Lavon !
    Thanks for sharing.
    I may not always comment, but I'm enjoying all of the posts you've taken the time to make lately !
    Keep 'em comin' !

    Oh, and I just adore that special quilt ! Gonna save that idea !

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a great reunion. I don't remenber seeing the cross in the picture. "That just shows God was with us! Love Mama

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos...and the way you have matching shirts! Great memory!

    ReplyDelete